Thursday, July 18, 2013

Korean Cuisine @ BigMama Korean Restaurant


BigMama Korean Restaurant is a popular restaurant located in Kim Tian Road which is run by Koreans and serves authentic Korean food.     


6 dishes of banchan (side dishes) were served. These are free and refillable. The Kimchi is fresh and crunchy. The Sigeumchi Namul (spinach) and Japchae (glass noodles) are mediocre. The Myeolchi Bokkeum (spicy anchovies) is too salty. It was my first time eating the Nokdumuk (mung bean starch jelly) and I find the taste unique and rather nice. 


And my favorite banchan is Yeongeun Jorim (lotus roots). The crunchy lotus roots go well with the yummy sauce. I love it so much, I had 3 refills. Highly recommended! 



Dakgalbi (spicy grilled chicken) is one of the two dishes highly recommended by the restaurant. It costs $15 per pax and the minimum order is 2 pax. Marinated chicken chunks are stir-fried with rice cakes, assorted vegetables and chilli sauce on a hot grill. The staff actually comes to your table and stir-fries the dish before your eyes. The rice cake is the best rice cake I have eaten in Singapore. The chicken and vegetables are not bad, but not fantastic.


         
Do not finish all the dakgalbi. It is strongly recommended to add rice, laver and sesame oil to the leftovers to make fried rice. The laver and sesame oil upped the flavor of the fried rice and it tastes delicious! Don't forget to leave some space in your stomach for this.
   

The kimchi soup with rice costs $14. To someone who loves spicy food like me, the soup tastes more sweet than spicy. But I like it that the tofu (bean curd) fully absorbed the flavor of the soup. It is a decent bowl of kimchi soup but I'd prefer one spicier.    


The Haemul Kimchi Jeon ($15) is my favorite dish out of everything I tried today. Haemul Kimchi Jeon is pancake made with finely cut chives and seafood. The pancake is thin and crispy. Absolutely delicious, a must try!   

Overall, the food is tasty and the price reasonable. When paying for the bill, I was pleasantly surprised to find that BigMama absorbs the 7% GST. Anyway, this place is really popular and often crowded. To avoid disappointment, it is best to call 6270 7704 to make a reservation before going.

BigMama Korean Restaurant: 

2 Kim Tian Road, Singapore 169244

No comments:

Post a Comment